Before you read this post, please keep in mind that my wife and I did not enjoy our first year of Ryland Home ownership. See "My Last Ryland Homes Blog Post & My Attempt To Help Ryland Homes!" to get a better overview of our Ryland Home complaint to the BBB, and links to the over 100 Ryland Home problems that were all eventually fixed after 13 months of having much of our time wasted.
So, any new homes builder is only as good as all the contractors and subcontractors that work on the houses they sell. Yes, there can be some repair work after a customer moves in. But, it should be kept to a minimum with a detailed builder inspection (before the owner moves in), and certainly getting it right on the second time around, without having to inconvenience the customer with a third come back (unless something new is discovered).
In any case, the contractors for Ryland Homes that stand out as good and professional are:
1. Their "Punch List" person, Mike. He has always showed up on time, completed his quality work in a timely fashion, and has represented Ryland well, since he used to be a builder himself. He stays until the job is done right. His communication skills set him apart from most people working for any builder. I believe this because I have bought other homes from track builders who have not had the benefit of a quality, experienced person like Mike Sipio who can explain why he uses certain products, or does his repairs in a certain way that will make the repair last. The fact that he is a Ryland Home owner is another big plus for Ryland and their customers, as he has first hand experience with a Ryland Home himself.
2. Ryland's landscape contractor was great at bulldozing my backyard to re-grade it so the 10 foot flooding area that was away from my house, and in the back yard, was regraded properly the first time.
3. Ryland's Aristokraft Cabinet people are very cooperative in replacing any doors or draws that have minor defects in them.
4. Ryland's fiberglass tub repair people are great at fixing minor nicks and gouges in tubs and showers.
5. Ryland's marble composite vanity countertop person is great at filling in holes, getting out swirls, and taking off glue from vanity countertops.